The Jane Goodall Institute is looking for: (m/f)
Volunteer Animator for the MolenGreen project (FR and/or NL)
The MolenGreen project is run by the Jane Goodall Institute Belgium (JGI Belgium) in partnership with the Commune of Molenbeek and various local youth organisations. A pilot project was run in partnership with Foyer de Molenbeek. As this project was such a success, JGI Belgium is launching similar initiatives with three new partners from Molenbeek.
In accordance with the participative and holistic philosophy of the Roots and Shoots youth programme, MolenGreen is an educational project which aims to turn the grounds of various youth associations into vegetable gardens or orchards. Through various workshops (gardening, making a herb spiral, an insect hotel or shelter, bird-feeders, etc.) children are encouraged to participate actively in the creation of urban green areas rich in biodiversity and to think about the issues surrounding sustainable food. These activities are undertaken with the technical and pedagogical support of members of JGI Belgium.
Are you fascinated by nature? Do you enjoy sharing your interest with young people? Do you have green fingers? Are you not afraid to get your hands dirty? Are you also interested in animals, people and the environment? If so, you might be interested in to the Jane Goodall Institute, Belgium MolenGreen team! If you join our team, you’ll have the opportunity to learn more about our work, our organisation and our volunteers.
As a MolenGreen moderator, you’ll moderate our youth groups approximately once a month. Workshops are usually on Wednesday afternoons or on Saturdays. The MolenGreen team will help you to prepare the workshop and sometimes you’ll moderate alone or with another volunteer. You can also be involved in designing and improving workshops. As the various plots owned by our partners are very different, you can give free rein to your creativity to turn these plots into urban havens of peace for plants, animals and young people.
This is not a full-time position, but you must be available on the days when workshops are held (dates to be fixed).
Minimum requirements for application:
- have experience working with young people
- be a jack-of-all-trades and willing to get your hands dirty (literally in this case!)
- be creative and enjoy sharing your interests with young people.
The following would be useful:
- some knowledge of horticulture, ornithology or entomology
- knowledge of French and/or Dutch so that you can moderate workshops in one of the two national languages. A passive knowledge of English would be a plus, as this is the working language of our organisation.
- experience in planning and implementing educational workshops in the area of the environment for young people.
- access to a vehicle to transport the equipment needed for the activities.
Our ideal candidate:
- an experienced moderator (m/f) who has already established vegetable gardens with young people.
The workshops will be in Molenbeek-saint-Jean. Preparation can be at your home or in our offices in Ixelles (schedule to be agreed).
Are you interested to become a volunteer for the Jane Goodall Institute Belgium ? Contact email@example.com or use the volunteering form at the contact page.