Roots & Shoots is a global youth action programme founded by Dr. Jane Goodall in 1991. The programme aims to inspire, empower and encourage young people to follow their passions, take actions together and become the actors for change our world needs. JGI Belgium has received funding from the QiGreen Foundation to implement Roots & Shoots activities for a period of 2 years in Belgium.
The mission of the Roots & Shoots programme is to improve the lives of animals, people and the environment (APE) by offering various activities to encourage young people to have a positive impact on the planet. We work closely with volunteers, schools and youth movements to carry out this project. The various activities are focused on respecting and protecting nature and the environment and take place throughout the year:
- Thematic workshops with young people
- Creative sessions in nature (games, use of materials from the environment to reconnect with nature).
- Youth activities during events of the Jane Goodall Institute, such as Forest in One Day and other events.
- “Recycling for chimpanzees” (recycling of mobile phones, raising awareness of the use of raw materials and the impact on the environment)
- “Music for chimps” (Concerts for schools and young people)
- “Fanimal” (animal welfare awareness campaign)