Established in 2005, the Jane Goodall Institute Belgium (JGI Belgium) is one of the 30 chapters of the Jane Goodall Institute, an international non-profit global conservation organization that advances the vision and work of founder Dr. Jane Goodall. By protecting chimpanzees and inspiring people to conserve the natural world we all share, our mission is to improve the lives of animals, people, and the environment.
Roots & Shoots (R&S) is a global community action programme founded by Dr. Jane Goodall in 1991. The programme aims to inspire, empower, and encourage young people to follow their passions, take actions together and become the change our world needs. It now supports tens of thousands of young people in about 100 countries with projects that help animals, people, and the environment. In 2002, the establishment of R&S led to the appointment of Dr. Jane Goodall as a UN Messenger of Peace, and she continues to help the United Nations to focus attention on environmental issues.
The Jane Goodall Institute Belgium is looking for a full-time Roots & Shoots coordinator. The Roots & Shoots Coordinator oversees all activities under the R&S programme and will be responsible for growing and strengthening the Roots & Shoots community in Belgium – both with volunteers and with active participants/members. The coordinator will be tasked with developing workshops around topics such as animal welfare (focus on chimpanzees), environment protection, nature, and sustainable life habits. The coordinator will also provide capacity building to the pool of R&S volunteers.
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic and dedicated, with a strong commitment to the ethos and goals of JGI BE. They have solid experience in project delivery and management and have basic experience with project reporting and administration keeping. The successful candidate is a proactive self-starter, that is goal oriented and enjoys working in a small team. They can work on multiple tasks at the same time and prioritize accordingly. A critical skill is to confidently communicate and showcase the values and work of Roots & Shoots, as well as lead and motivate the volunteers in delivering on the programmes’ commitments within a project context.
The coordinator will work closely with the R&S focal point from the JGI Belgium Board for day-to-day guidance and coordination on the R&S programme. JGI’s Executive Director will be the line manager who coordinates the overall portfolio of the organisation.
- Coordinate the Roots & Shoots programme and activities.
- Boost our pool of volunteers, including our network of several teachers and environmental education workers, through meetings, train-the-trainer workshops, and didactic coaching material.
- Develop educational material and handouts for workshops.
- Plan and organize pilot projects for workshops and events at different locations for people aged 4 – 25 yrs.
- Coordinate the development of communication and awareness raising materials, and assure the dissemination through different channels (newsletter, website, social media).
- Provide support and coordinate Roots & Shoots activities during the events organized by JGI Belgium.
- Help grow and strengthen the R&S network through exploring and establishing partnerships with other organisations in Belgium and abroad.
- Minimum 3 years working experience that is of relevance for this position
- Being a people’s person, e.g., excellent communicator, good listener, empathetic, motivational, team player
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills, project management experience
- Preferably a degree in a relevant field such as education or nature conservation/biology/environment
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, flexible, and pro-active. Positive can-do attitude.
- Experience in working with youth and particularly in teaching is a plus
- Great sense of responsibility and autonomy
- Passionate about the environment, animals, and the philosophy of Jane Goodall
- Strong communicator. (Social) media experience a plus. Excellent command of French and/or Dutch, as well as a good command of English
- Confident use of Office applications
What we offer:
- A job that allows you mostly to work from home
- Flexible working hours, with occasional requirement to work evening and weekends
- Transport costs, provision of laptop
- Salary range: up to €2300,- gross /month depending on experience + 13th month & holidays
- Fixed term: 2 years
Please send your application in English (CV and motivation letter) until 13 January 2022 to: email@example.com.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted personally and invited for an interview between 26-28 January 2022.